Sunday, August 14, 2011

Life is full of Ups and Downs...

The Ups...

The rain was coming...

 After months of no rain, extremely hot temperature and exception drought...


It RAINED!  
We had 2" of rain!  Not much by other standards, but we 
are very thankful for what we did get.

 The Downs..

Our twin calves that were born last week 
being moved to a cooler pasture where we could keep an eye on them.

Settling in to their new world.
Brownie is very weak.  
We had to feed him thru a tube.

The gray calf...Jasper is strong and walking about.

Sadly, Brownie didn't make it.  He tried his best.
Mama Heidi did all she could with our help and TLC,
but he just wasn't strong enough and his lungs were not fully developed.
Brownie was such a sweet little fellow.  I got to hug and kiss him.  I told him he was a miracle to us and I thanked him for his presence.
It is the part of raising cattle that I DO NOT LIKE.  


But Jasper is doing very well!

He wants his Mama!


 Heidi is such a sweet mother and she will have double love for her baby boy...


Don't for get to check out Z at Old Grey Mare for a HUGE giveaway!!
Click HERE!

9 comments:

amy of studio four corners said...

so glad you got rain!!!
so sorry about the little calf....

Tanya said...

Yay for cooling off a bit! Wish we would here, as well. So, sorry sorry to hear about Brownie - never easy losing an animal. Hope tomorrow brings a better day...Tanya

TexWisGirl said...

congrats on the 2" of rain!!! we had some yesterday - maybe between 1/2 " to 3/4" - but i was happy too!

so sorry about your little calf!

Privet and Holly said...

Oh, Cindy,
my heart just
dropped when I
read about Brownie.
I give you SO
much credit for
being able to deal
with life and death
issues like this.
You are amazing!
xx Suzanne

Old Fashioned Kitty said...

I don't think I have ever been so excited about rain! It was such a wonderful day. I am sorry to hear about brownie, he looked like a sweet little guy.

Penny said...

What a touching story. There is a change in the weather here too. I can feel Fall in the air. Glad I found your blog.

Vicki said...

So sad to hear about Brownie. I know it is part of life on the farm. Glad to hear the rain came. You needed it so bad.

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh I am glad you got some rain. I am sure more will follow.
Sorry about your calf I know how that one feels. The other one looks healthy and strong. Too bad I am sorry. B

Faded Plains said...

So sorry to hear about Brownie...but so happy to hear that Jasper is doing well.